What You Can Do to Help
Sea Shepherd is unique because we are the only organization with a ship going to the ice floes of Canada in opposition to the seal hunt. But, in addition to our efforts at sea, we need to fight from onshore as well. To do this, we need your help!
Please join us in our land-based campaign strategies to stop the seal slaughter. There are many actions that you can take immediately to make a difference:
BOYCOTT CANADIAN SEAFOOD: Sea Shepherd discourages the consumption of any seafood, but for those who do consume it, we urge you to join in the Boycott of Canadian Seafood. In the early 1980's, boycotts helped shut-down the seal hunt. Let's do it again!
- The Red Lobster restaurant chain is the world's largest purchaser of Canadian seafood and, in particular, seafood sold by Canadian sealers. For this reason, organizations are doing all they can to convince Red Lobster to help end the Canadian commercial seal hunt by boycotting Canadian seafood. So far, Red Lobster has refused to do so. Please join us in asking Red Lobster President Kim A. Lopdrup not to buy or serve Canadian seafood until the Canada's commercial seal hunt is ended. This special Red Lobster Internet public interest message contains all the contact information you'll need. Please link to and distribute it so that more people can help.
- Help educate Red Lobster patrons and show them how they can help influence Red Lobster to do the right thing and help end the slaughter of seals. Download this Red Lobster leaflet which can be handed to Red Lobster customers as they are entering the restaurant and/or placed on their windshields! Share it with friends and family. Make copies and distribute widely! [Note: Print 2-sided and cut into fourths]
- Download this Boycott Canadian Seafood flyer with facts and action tips! Share it with friends and family. Make copies and distribute widely!
- Read this well-written letter that a concerned citizen sent to the Canadian Tourism Commission.
WRITE POLITICIANS: Send a letter, e-mail, or fax to your local politicians and the Canadian government to demand an end to this atrocious slaughter of seals.
WRITE COMPANIES THAT SELL SEAL FUR PRODUCTS: Send a letter, e-mail, or fax to companies (below) that sell products made from the fur and skin of seals slaughtered on the East coast of Canada. These companies are participating in the annual hunt by giving the Canadian government and sealers the economic incentive they need to continue their barbaric practice. Send a letter to these companies and politely request that they make their fashion more compassionate by ending the use of seal fur. Due to the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the use of seal fur and skin is banned in the United States, however, these companies can sell seal products in the European and International. [Note: the sale of whitecoat pelts are still banned in Europe].
The Odette Leblanc Collection: They say the following about their products: "Composed of a complete line of very unique seal fur products.. Ranging from small accessories to full length coats, you will surely find the ideally suited item you've been looking for or even been dreaming about owning!"
022 de l'école Rd.
Pointe-aux-Loups, Îles de la madeleine PQ G4T 8B1
Petit Nord: They sell children's seal fur hats, boots, mittens.
E-mail: Use form at http://www.petitnord.com/contact/contact.htm
Pajar: Makes/sells sealskin boots.
4509 Coloniale Avenue
Montreal, Quebec, Canada. H2T 1V8
Toll free: 1-888-667-2527
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL MEDIA (TV, NEWSPAPERS AND RADIO): In order to spread the news about what is happening in Canada during March and April, we need to get media coverage.
- Write letters to the editors of your local newspapers
- list of Canadian media sources
- list of United States media sources
- Call TV and radio stations to ask them to cover this important news
- Refer your local broadcast and cable TV stations to Sea Shepherd to get a free copy of our Martin Sheen "Save the Seals" Public Service Announcement (PSA)
- You can offer the Sea Shepherd telephone number 360-370-5650, so the media can contact us for interviews with Sea Shepherd president and founder, Captain Paul Watson.
GET YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY INVOLVED: Invite them to our website to learn more about this important issue and take action.
NON-U.S. CITIZENS ALERT: Be an "eco spy" - Keep an eye out for sales of seal-related products. If you find any sales of seal oil capsules or seal fur and/or leather, please let us know by e-mail or call
+1-360-370-5650. We will send the company a request that they pull the item(s) off their shelves and not re-stock them. We will point out that they are selling and profiting from the cruel and unnecessary killing of baby seals. Recently, Costco stores in Newfoundland removed seal oil capsules from their shelves when a Sea Shepherd representative approached them about the situation. Your efforts can make a difference!
SUPPORT SEA SHEPHERD WITH A DONATION TODAY!: Click here to make a donation via credit card or to learn about other ways to support Sea Shepherd.
Letter Writing Campaign:
Start and/or continue your letter-writing campaign. It is important that you keep writing often to remind those in a position to stop the Canadian seal hunt that they must do the right thing and put an end the slaughter of harp and hood seals.
Send Your Letters of Protest By E-Mail, Fax and/or Mail to . . .
Click here for a sample letter in simple text form
- Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper has the power to stop the hunt
Let him know he needs to do his job to protect our oceans!
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2
Constituency Tel (for Canadians): 613-992-4211
- This is the ministry responsible for setting seal quotas and enforcing violations of the Marine Mammal Regulations
The Honourable Ms. Gail Shea
House of Commons
Minister, Fisheries and Oceans
Parliament Buildings, Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
- For Everyone Around the World - Canadian Embassies and Consulates
Canadian Embassies and Consulates must report to the seat of parliament in Ottawa, Canada, each month - let them send a report that the citizens of their host country are asking the Canadian government to STOP THE SLAUGHTER OF HARP AND HOOD SEALS!
- For Canadian Citizens - To find out the contact information of your senators and members of Parliament
Contact your local, regional, or federal representative. Set up a meeting with officials to discuss your opposition to the Canadian Seal Hunt.
Take pictures at your meeting and send them to Sea Shepherd with a written report.
Letters to the Editor are very powerful. Your letters are important and have impact!
Following are the top newspapers in Canada: